BTS Makeup Essentials: Eyeshadow

by - 16:33

Back To School Makeup Essentials | Eyeshadow

For today's post, I've decided to combine the last step to your eye makeup for back to school and also your eyebrows, all using the same product: eyeshadow! Now, I know some (or maybe most) of you prefer to use eyebrow pencils to do your brows but I've found it's much easier to use eyeshadow, since it will allow you to not overdo your eyebrows (unless you use a really dark colour or too much eyeshadow, of course, but it's usually easier to control).

If you're not one with the delicate touch needed to fill in your eyebrows with a pencil - like me - then you'll find a simple matte eyeshadow to be your best friend when it comes to grooming those eyebrows! Not to mention you can also use the eyeshadow for your eye look, unless you don't really feel comfortable wearing eyeshadow on a day to day basis.

So if you want to see what you'll need to make your eyebrows look great and your eyes to be the focus of your look, keep reading!

Back To School Makeup Essentials | Eyeshadow
First, let's talk about eyeshadow! If you're like me and you're more into the natural look, then you know earth tones will look good on anyone, no matter what your eye colour is. They will help you bring some light and definition to your eyes, while also staying natural enough for school. Now, I suggest you buy trios or quads instead of single eye shadows, only because they will give you all the colours you need for a very reasonable price. Here's my three drugstore options and how you can style them:

Wet N Wild Eyeshadow Trio in Walking on Eggshells: you've probably heard great things about the Wet N Wild eyeshadow trios and this particular one is usually raved about by many beauty gurus on Youtube. It's just a great trio for an everyday look and you don't have to use all the colours if you're not comfortable with them, of course. If you want a very natural look, apply the eyelid colour on your eyelid only. If you want something a bit more complicated, try adding the crease colour to your crease, but be careful to not use too much, you don't want a very harsh look after all. And remember, the key to a great eye look is to blend that crease colour really well!

NYC's Long Beach Sands HD Eyeshadow Trio: this NYC trio is also a great option, very affordable and it has great colours too. If you want a very natural look only apply the third shade or the first shade on the eyelid, just to brighten up your eyes. If you want, you can also add the white shade to your brow bone and your inner corner to brighten up your eyes even more. If you want to add a little bit more depth, add the middle colour to the crease and blend, blend, blend!

Essence Quattro Eyeshadow in Over the Taupe: Now this is a quad I want to buy desperately. It has such nice colours that I can wear on a day to day basis and I know Essence's quads are really good since I have two of them (To Die For and Wood You Mind?). With this one, though, you can go for a really natural look and only use the lightest brown colour on your lid and add a bit of the white on your inner corner and brow bone if you feel like it. I think the brown colours are a bit dark for the crease for an everyday look, but they would look great if you want to go to a dressier event.

Back To School Makeup Essentials | Eyeshadow
Now to the many ways you can use the eyeshadow and what extras you'll need to make it work. All the products are from the drugstore so they're very cheap and they are also very good, don't worry.

In case you want to use the eye shadows as simple eye shadows, you definitely need to prime your eyes first. Just like with your face, you need to prime your lids to make sure your eyeshadow doesn't crease or come off throughout the day (after all, who has the time to retouch their eyeshadow in the school bathroom?). In case you have greasier eyelids, a primer is a must and if you don't have them, a primer will still help your eyeshadow last longer. Don't worry, you don't have to spend a ridiculous amount of money on an expensive primer, not when the drugstore has great options!

ELF Mineral Eyeshadow Primer: the great thing about eyeshadow primers is that they don't have to match your skin tone because they'll be covered by your eyeshadow. You just need to find a formula that works for you. This primer blends nicely and it also goes on very smoothly, not to mention the packaging makes it easier to apply.

Essence I love stage Eyeshadow Base: you may have realised by now that I'm quite fond of Essence products. Not all, mind you, the foundations were a disaster for me, but I do find they do a lot of things right at an amazing price, so I tend to go there more often than not when I need something beauty related. This primer (or base, as they call it) does wonders and a lot of people have raved about it for a good reason. It helps a lot with eyelid discolouration, so it that's your case, you need to run and buy this ASAP.

In case you want to try and use your eyeshadow as a way to groom your eyebrows and fill them in, then make sure you buy a matte eyeshadow (the last thing you want is for your eyebrows to shimmer or sparkle) that matches the colour of your eyebrows. I found that when in doubt, you should go a shade lighter rather than a shade darker, since it won't be as noticeable. Finally, you'll need some clear gel to set the eyeshadow and give your eyebrows a more natural look and also a spoolie brush, that will help you apply the product.

Essence Lash & Brow Gel Mascara: I personally love this product and I use it a lot on my brows, pretty much everyday. You have to be careful though, since a little goes a long way and a lot makes your eyebrows crusty. Also, this has the perk of doubling as a clear mascara, which I find great for my bottom lashes, since it won't smudge and make me look like a raccoon!

Essence 2 in 1 Lash and Brow Comb: this is a new product that Essence will come out in the next month, I believe. Not only will it help you get rid of the clumps of your mascara but also help you comb your brows. Although I'm not a big fan of spoolies to apply the eyeshadow (I prefer something like this), I believe the spoolie will work just fine as well.

And that's the end of this post! This was the last post in my Back To School Makeup Essentials. I know I didn't mention the lips, but I believe that part depends strongly on people and their taste, not to mention literally anything (lipgloss, chapstick, lipstick, etc) would be appropriate for school if you feel comfortable wearing it. I hope you liked this post and, if you did, comment!

You May Also Like

0 comments